Xtratime Community banner

Euro 2012 Selection

8K views 242 replies 30 participants last post by  camelface 
#1 ·
Just a general thread about the pool of players at Prandelli's disposal. It is a short list, and only a short list of the players who I think have a chance to go. Even those who maybe have yet to feature under Prandelli, but also because they have been playing better in the 2nd half of the season.

Goalkeepers (3 to be selected)

Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus)
Morgan De Sanctis (Napoli)
Salvatore Sirigu (P.S.G)
Emiliano Viviano (Palermo)

In the GK department, I think Marchetti has also had a wonderful season with Lazio and Abbiati has been really good for Milan, but it looks Prandelli's mind has been made up already with the above 4 choices and that 3 of those will be going.

Full-Backs (4 to be selected)

Ignazio Abate (AC Milan)
Federico Balzaretti (Palermo)
Mattia Cassani (Fiorentina)
Domenico Criscito (Zenit St Petersburg)
Paolo De Ceglie (Juventus)
Christian Maggio (Napoli)

Can't see any more other than this getting the call. De Ceglie, despite never getting a call from Prandelli has been one of the more consistent at FB in the 2nd part of the season and certainly has been no worse than anyone else. His problem is that not being called means Prandelli may not trust him. Abate and Cassani will fight for the 2nd RB spot and right now its likey to go to Abate with Cassani not in the best form.

Central Defenders (4 to be selected)

Davide Astori (Cagliari)
Andrea Barzagli (Juventus)
Leonardo Bonucci (Juventus)
Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus)
Angelo Ogbonna (Torino)
Andrea Ranocchia (Inter)
Matias Silvestre (Palermo)

For Silvestre, that would be if Prandelli feels he should make him Italian, but I see already the Juventus trio going to the Euros and either Ranocchia or Ogbonna following them. Despite his poor form, Ranocchia has always done reasonably well with Italy and so Prandelli could still trust him.

Midfielders (7 to be selected)

Alberto Aquilani (AC Milan)
Luca Cigarini (Atalanta)
Andrea Cossu (Cagliari)
Daniele De Rossi (AS Roma)
Claudio Marchisio (Juventus)
Riccardo Montolivo (Fiorentina)
Thiago Motta (P.S.G)
Antonio Nocerino (AC Milan)
Simone Pepe (Juventus)
Andrea Pirlo (Juventus)
Andrea Poli (Inter)

I think the 7 above are more or less already there, unless Pepe can produce a bit more form and convince Prandelli that he is needed as a wide option, which I really hope is not the case as Pepe promises alot, but delivers little. Cigarini, Cossu and Poli are just named in case of injuries really, the other 7 will be the ones going.

Forwards (5 to be selected)

Mario Balotelli (Man City)
Fabio Borini (AS Roma)
Antonio Cassano (AC Milan)
Antonio Di Natale (Udinese)
Alberto Gilardino (Genoa)
Sebastien Giovinco (Parma)
Alessandro Matri (Juventus)
Pablo Osvaldo (AS Roma)
Giampaolo Pazzini (Inter)
Fabio Quagliarella (Juventus)
Giuseppe Rossi (Villarreal)

The longest and most difficult list of all. Was debating whether to add Quags and Gila on here, they are the 2 least likely to go anyway, but in case of a sudden break out of form from either then it is still possible given the injuries of Cassano and Rossi. I think if those 2 go, then he may leave Di Natale at home. Balotelli for me is a concrete choice despite his character and Giovinco is also someone who seems very likely to be on the plane. So it leaves a place for one of the Roma players , Osvaldo or Borini. There is no doubt Borini has the potential, but Osvaldo has proven he is in really hot form of late and so the 5 I think that could go are Osvaldo, Cassano, Rossi, Giovinco and Balotelli, with Borini the next in line.

My predicted Italy squad of Prandelli

Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus)
Morgan De Sanctis (Napoli)
Emiliano Viviano (Palermo)

Ignazio Abate (AC Milan)
Federico Balzaretti (Palermo)
Andrea Barzagli (Juventus)
Leonardo Bonucci (Juventus)
Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus)
Domenico Criscito (Zenit St Petersburg)
Christian Maggio (Napoli)
Angelo Ogbonna (Torino)

Alberto Aquilani (AC Milan)
Daniele De Rossi (AS Roma)
Claudio Marchisio (Juventus)
Riccardo Montolivo (Fiorentina)
Thiago Motta (P.S.G)
Antonio Nocerino (AC Milan)
Andrea Pirlo (Juventus)

Mario Balotelli (Man City)
Antonio Cassano (AC Milan)
Sebastien Giovinco (Parma)
Pablo Osvaldo (AS Roma)
Giuseppe Rossi (Villarreal)

See less See more
#36 · (Edited)
Buffon
Abate Barzagli Chiellini Criscito (Balzaretti against weaker teams)
De Rossi Pirlo ?
Cassano
Di Natale Balotelli

?=Montolivo/Aquilani/Nocerino/Marchisio/Motta (whomever is in best form in training)

#37 ·
Prandelli won't play Cassano as treq. Not right away anyhow. I think he will put either Aquilani or Montolivo for the first match as the AM and see from there. Cassano and Balotelli could be the attack.

#39 ·
You can play him if he puts hardwork, defends etc etc.But I doubt it.
I even dont like Cassano - Balotelli attack much. I dont think they can develop so good of chemistry together.Plus both lazy.
I prefer giovinco borini or osvaldo instead one of those two in starting lineup .Preferably golvaldo.

#42 ·
Di Natale has 26 goals and 8 assists in 37 games this season and if you watch how Udinese play recently (no fluidity), it is a miracle he is still scoring like he is. Italy used him next to useless forwards (Gilardino and Iaquinta) in the World Cup which pushed him out wide and was ineffective. But put him up top with someone who can create and he'll probably do better. He may not be our savior but he is purely the best finisher Italy's got now.

To those who say he hasn't done crap with Italy is the stupidest excuse to exclude him. One must be picked due to form not from past experiences with national team. ie Totti led the team in the world cup but he does not deserve a place now. Maybe Argentina should not pick Messi then?

#43 ·
DI NATALE HAAAAAD HIIISS CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAANCE.

ahem.

Sorry.

Listen. He had his chance. He had Euro 2008, and World Cup 2010. He failed to impress at BOTH tournaments. If it was just the one, I'd re-think it. But let's face it. It's been TWO tournaments. He's 34-years-old. And finally, this theory can be applied to any position, but it works best when applied to strikers. A striker's performance in league play does not, I repeat, does not, and never will, definitely mean he will succeed on the national team. And vice versa. ie. Luca Toni finishing 2006 serie a season, and being a shadow at World Cup, playing mind you, on the all-star team he had at his disposal.

Di Natale has had his chance.

Prandelli would be a fool to bring him. End of story.

#49 ·
This is such a horrible argument. Di Natale was used by Donadoni as a left winger. This has nothing to do with using him as a striker. Put him with Cassano to feed him some breakway passes and you will see he can finish them.

As a left winger, he had trouble causing trouble to the other team because he was far from the net. But this has nothing to do with being a striker. Look in the league, and compare him as a forward to other ones, he's easily worth consideration and worth that we don't frame him out with such villager arguments.

#44 ·
It's not that hard really.
Prima punta - Di Natale, Balotelli, Matri/Pazzini, Borini/Osvaldo
Seconda punta - Giovinco, Cassano, Balotelli, Borini/Quags

We just don't have that many choices now. If Rossi and/or Cassano were match-fit, I'd have left Di Natale home but we have no choice now. I do want to see Di Natale played as prima punta to score goals. Balotelli is sure-in as well given the lack of choices... I still think he can learn, he did play fine internationally U-21.
Prandelli will probably bring both Matri & Pazzini but one of those is enough surely.
Quags would be a sure take above Borini were it not for Conte. Right now, he's a toss-up. Giovinco is clearly our best SS, given Cassano has only played a few minutes.

#46 ·
di natale has udinese system built around him and his strengths.In Italian NT he will need to fit in,then build a team around him.

Again, Daniel Osvaldo is the guy to go for.And I am not saying this because of bias!
He is fantastic player, underrated alot on this boards.Since start of year, there has been many posters biased against him. And unfortunately there still is some. Despite that he won over all roma fans.

#47 ·
Yes, i totally agree with not bringing Di Natale, just like Miccoli he's one of those players that will do well in a midtable team, but is nowhere near international quality.

#48 ·
I understand the reservations on Di Natale, but lets be serious......he is the only striker in Italy who has scored consistently for the last 3 seasons. Given, that Italy has a lack of choice of world class strikers, its a no brainer really.

Balotelli is a shoe in (or should be despite the fact that he is mentally retarted).

Giovinco goes in by default given Rossi's injury and Cassano's only recent re-introduction.

Matri and Pazzini are off form and cannot be trusted. Borriello? HELL NO.

But in the end its going to be Di Natale, Cassano, Giovinco, Balotelli, Matri, Pazzini.

Quagliarella & Osvaldo have an outside chance at replacing one of Matri and Pazzini.

One thing I am thinking about is whether Prandelli should start thinking of adopting a 3 man defense. Players like Barzagil, Chiellini and even Bonucci have been very strong for Juventus and adds another option with Maggio playing in his natural position of right wing back. Not sure who would be the left wing back, but it could work.

-------------------------Buffon--------------------------

------------Barzagli---Bonucci----Chiellini-------------

Maggio----Nocerino----Pirlo----Marchisio-----Abate/Criscito?

---------------Balotelli-----Di Natale-------------------

Italy don't have good wingers. A 4-3-3 has its problems because one of the the front 3 has to track back a lot to help the midfield - that is why you need a player like Pepe but he is not exactly world class either and Italy has no better player in that kind of position.

#50 ·
One thing I am thinking about is whether Prandelli should start thinking of adopting a 3 man defense. Players like Barzagil, Chiellini and even Bonucci have been very strong for Juventus and adds another option with Maggio playing in his natural position of right wing back. Not sure who would be the left wing back, but it could work.

-------------------------Buffon--------------------------

------------Barzagli---Bonucci----Chiellini-------------

Maggio----Nocerino----Pirlo----Marchisio-----Abate/Criscito?

---------------Balotelli-----Di Natale-------------------

Italy don't have good wingers. A 4-3-3 has its problems because one of the the front 3 has to track back a lot to help the midfield - that is why you need a player like Pepe but he is not exactly world class either and Italy has no better player in that kind of position.

Balzaretti would be the left wing back. You forgot De Rossi who should be a definite starter. It could work but doubtful he will change formation so late in the campaign.

#51 ·

3-4-3
cassano osvaldo di natale

criscito pirlo de rossi maggio

chiellini ranocchia barzagli

----
3-5-2 udinese/napoli style
cassano di natale

criscito marchisio pirlo de rossi maggio

----------
4-3-1-2 diamond

cassano osvaldo

montolivo
nocerino pirlo de rossi

criscito chiellini barzagli maggio

-----------
4-3-3
cassano osvaldo borini

nicerino pirlo de rossi

criscito chiellini barzagli maggio

Starting forwards: Cassano, Osvaldo, Borini, Di Natale
Useful back-up with these formations considered: Giovinco

Thing is, on any of these, one could switch Balotelli for Osvaldo: you gain skill but lose hardwork.

#54 ·
3-5-2 udinese/napoli style
cassano di natale

criscito marchisio pirlo de rossi maggio

The old udinese and napoli have such great attacking styles but for it to work, you need De Rossi to play the hard working midfielder (Asamoah/Gargano) role and Pirlo to play a little more up in the orchestrator role (Inler) role and take out Marchisio and put in another attacker such as Balotelli who has the speed, flare, and presence like Cavani though he does not have the high work rate. Di Natale can play the free role (Lavezzi/Alexis) and Cassano the playmaker (Hamsik). We would have a solid defense with the Juve trio and definitely have quality wing backs. It does look intriguing. Since Prandelli won't use it, I'll try it in Fifa, lol.

#53 ·
If we use wing backs, wouldn't Balzaretti be a better choice on the left? We should use our left backs like Madrid does, Balzaretti against weaker teams (like Marcelo) because he is much more of an offensive threat than Criscito but against tougher teams and/or teams with a good right winger, place Criscito (like Coentrao) who is without a doubt a much more solid defender. Maybe same on the right as Abate in my eyes is a better man marker than Maggio (Maggio though is better in the air) while it is a toss up who is more of an offensive threat (Maggio probably a tad more dangerous). What do others think?

#55 ·
This weak/strong team argument holds for Maggio vs Abate, because both are overall competent in defence (with edge to Abate). For Balzaretti, I don't have the same confidence defensively. It would be a risk IMO. Every team in these tournaments has a decent counter-attack threat which passes by the wings. So meh, don't see why we shouldn't have at least one sure fullback.

Against very strong opponents, indeed putting Abate might be good.

#57 ·
Balzaretti is a bit of a liability on the left, yes. But I wouldn't consider him a poor defender, probably average. However, he is a prominent attacking threat. After watching Crisitco against USA, if he is a starter, I have no hope for any attacks on the left flank unless Balotelli plays there and even then there should be overlapping runs at times when Balotelli cuts in.

#65 ·
Also guys, sure I am a Juve fan, but one cannot deny that they are perhaps playing the best football in Serie A and are currently leading the table with a predominately Italian starting 11. Only Lichsteiner, Vidal and Vucinic are the non-Italian starters.

I suspect that Buffon, Barzagli, Chiellini, Bonucci, Marchisio, and Pirlo will 100% make the cut. Wouldn't be surprised if Prandelli even calls up Pepe or Giaccherini - I really like Giacch....but perhaps he is not quite ready for the national team just yet.

But you the following team will have good cohesion:

-------------------------Buffon----------------------------

------------Barzagli---Bonucci----Chiellini---------------

Maggio----De Rossi----Pirlo-----Marchisio----Balzaretti

-----------------Balotelli-----Di Natale--------------------

6 Juve players in that starting 11. Having the defense as all Juve is a good starting point given that Juve has the best defensive record in Europe.

#66 ·
Defensive records aren't built on 2-3 defensive players. They are a consequence of good team play. Juve's record would never convince me to put Bonucci, for example.

I would be for bringing Pepe and Giacch but we simply do not have space for them. They are not good enough either to merit changing the systems we were using in qualifying. But these 3-5-2 have not been tried but do not require huge selection changes. Basically, all you need are fullbacks who can play a bit higher, which Maggio can already do. (Anyway, Prandelli will not use such a system. )

#69 ·
1 - I play fantasy football, so I know who is injured and who is not. For dumb that fantasy football might be it forces you to know who is injured and who is not, above all if you have a forward of Roma in your team. Thank you!
2 - the fact that he was out doesn't cancel the fact he has scored 11 goals of 52 Roma scored. Did I write he scored just 11 goals in 32 games? BTW he scored 11 goals in 23 games when Borini scored 9 in 19... similar numbers and you know I would always choose the Italian on the fake Italian.
3- :kiss: for the insults but keep quiet or I'll get you banned from your beloved Italo-Argentinian NT forum.

#79 ·
Don't see the hype around Osvaldo at all, certainly don't see the big difference between him and Matri.

I wouldn't call either.

#81 ·
I dont care if am wrong on numbers.I judge on what I see.I see Osvaldo able to create chances for himself, and setting up others.I see him dealing with the ball outside of the box perfectly.
I dont see matri or gilardino doing it, they just wait others to feed them to score some crap goal.Its not even close on who technically is the superior player.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.