Xtratime Community banner

Mexican Football Chat Tread - Talk about anything Mexican Football Related...

11K views 97 replies 10 participants last post by  TTM 
#1 ·
Opening this thread up for random chatter amongst the regulars of this forum and new folks that I hope will be coming in to chat about Mexican football.....

#4 ·
What's behind Tijuana spending over 10m euros btw? rich owners?

Antonio Margarito funding it out of his back pocket?

#5 ·
Interesting backstory behind that club. The "owner" is the son of the former mayor of Tijuana. Everyone and their mother knows that the bankroll for the club comes from the dad, Jorge Hank Rohn, a billionaire.

Hank Rohn, whose own father was a former mayor of Mexico City, has had some shady dealings and incidents in his past. The most notorious being his chief bodyguard being convicted of the murder of a Tijuana journalist that had criticized Hank Rohn for his drug cartel connections.

Many of my neighbors are professionals in Tijuana that run their businesses there but live on the USA side for the simple reason that it is safer for their families as they are perceived to have money. They hate Hank Rohn.

All that being aside, the Xolos (the shortened nick of the club) need to step it up this next term to stay in the top flight. Thus the spending spree. I didn't get a chance to go to any games this last term due to my travel schedule but I hope to get to one this next term. Getting there is just a few minutes, coming back can be at least 30 min up to a couple of hours because of US Customs and Immigration.

#6 ·
Interesting, as I'd never heard of them before.

Poor season also for America despite the big money signing of Benitez in the summer. Looked a handy player at Birmingham but never found his scoring boots there. Then again, no one ever scores many for an Alex McCleish side.

#7 ·
America has had problems with consistency. They have a few dynamic young players on their rolls like Angel Reyna and Diego Reyes but their mid is lacking. Supposedly, they have put almost everyone on the block for sale. I'll have to check the transfer wire to see who is going where and who America get for this next term.

#9 ·
Rodriguez, aka "Chiquidracula", is one of those guys that likes to take the stage himself. I just don't understand it.

Right now, the local team here, Xolos, is making some moves to stay up and for selfish reasons I hope they do so I can see top-division locally. That means, of course, that one of the more established teams will have to be relegated.

#17 ·
Xolos play Chivas today. Man, if the Xolos beat them it would be frickin sweet. Not all Chivas fans are insufferable....but a significant minority are and it would be nice to get all three points on their back.....at their stadium.:thumbsup:

#18 ·
Xolos up 1-0 at HT:thumbsup:.

Carlos Fierro, the 17-yr old bronze ball winner from this last U17 WC started for Chivas. This kid is impressive. First, he is really, really fast. Second, this kid can pass with a blindfold on. For a 17-yr old, he is also showing remarkably good hold-up play with his back to the goal. Making kid mistakes but barring injury, this kid is going places.

#22 ·
Win again for Chivas after Cruijff was contacted.

Luis Garcia playing for their opponents :D and scoring too with a slide.

#23 ·
Didn't watch the game but checked the box. Chivas goals were via penalty and own goal. Not exactly convincing at least on the score sheet....but I'm sure at this point they will take a win any which way they can.

#28 ·
Xolos win 2-0. They assure themselves, mathematically, of staying in the top flight:). Next tourney, hopefully, they will be finished with their stadium expansion and we can get tickets. They are solidy sold out for the year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.