Xtratime Community banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

RVP - the latest villain

51K views 1K replies 147 participants last post by  Beechy 
#1 ·
to the very top is my verdict, he has strength, awareness, movement, a technique to die for, a great finisher, lovely free-kick taker.

he has it all but needs to show more personality, with that he can become one of the elite strikers of the world IMO.

what do you think he can achieve ?

#31 ·
Arsenal FC manager Arsène Wenger was full of praise for striker Robin van Persie after the 22-year-old Dutch international came on as a second-half substitute to add to a fine first-half effort from the man he had replaced, Thierry Henry, and confirm a 3-0 Group B win against AC Sparta Praha at Highbury. The victory, the English side's fourth from four UEFA Champions League games, took them into the knockout stages of the competition with two games still to play.

Arsène Wenger, Arsenal manager;
Van Persie's contribution really pleased me tonight. When he gets the ball on his left foot he looks very dangerous and is a handful for defences. I brought Van Persie on for Thierry Henry because although Thierry was showing great hunger to play, he has only just come back from injury and we have an important league match on Saturday. In general I was happy with our play going forwards although I felt we looked vulnerable on set-pieces. Overall, though, I am very satisfied and qualifying for the last 16 means that we can now concentrate on improving our position in the Premiership. We will need to adapt our play for the next stage of the competition. A different type of game is needed and I feel defending takes on far more importance.

#33 ·
yeah, it is a change isn't it. I think the mentality behind that is, if you can't beat them, join them. I fully support Wenger's strategy in going defensive for the CL.

#35 ·
The crowd was chanting RVP's name long before he came on.

The fans know he is the most direct of our strikers, no silly one-two-one-two for RVP he has an opportunity and he goes for it.

Great first goal, second goal in he right place looking for a cut back or deflection and unlucky not to score a hat-trick at the end.

He has now scored in EPL, Carling Cup and CL only the FA cup left.

#38 ·
clemondo said:
yeah, it is a change isn't it. I think the mentality behind that is, if you can't beat them, join them. I fully support Wenger's strategy in going defensive for the CL.

it's pointless to play more defnsive, we are all set up to attack, i think we create more problems for ourselves being defensive.

and i think we have been defensive in CL for about 3 years now, we played well before then when we just played our normal game.

#39 ·
It depends what you mean by being defensive - if you mean going one upfront - then yes that's a waste of time.

If however you mean, people getting deep and tracking runners and hustling when we're not in possession of the ball then that's exactly what we need - and it's exactly what we haven't been doing for a while now.

#40 ·
In europe , especially away from home we need to be more solid. Do not go all out for an attack, we did v Bayern last season and were murdered. You hold back the defenders and one or two CM players, and see what the rest can do going forward.

At home you can boss the game, but that is no good if you are 3-0 down after the 1st leg.

#41 ·
we lost in Bayern due to Kolo playing like a prizetwat i thought. :)

honestly, we didn't really go for the game, we were very ponderious in midfield with no-one wiling to go forward past Henry.

we don't play gung ho in EPL away games either, but at least you should attack when you get the chance, we haven't done this for 3 years in CL in my view and i think it's because we have been conned into thinking you have to be defensive in order to do well in this comp.

#42 ·
My uncle who has been football watcher since his youth once commented that RvP is destined to be Arsenal long-term player not because of his talent, but also his confidence especially in goal scoring department. In his opinion, he could be even better than Reyes who was brought with cost 3x times than him. At the first time, I don't really believe it since how could he said such thing when at that time Robin only got handful of match. But now, I fully believe it. Robin is no doubt our future player and finally the successor the great :star: Dennis Bergkamp:star:.

I have great hope for him. Not only in Arsenal, but also Dutch NT as well. Together with Robben and Kuyt, I hope he'll go far in World Cup 2006. :)

#44 ·
I hope he doesn't turn into something of a Recoba, with outrageous talent but always unsettled. RvP needs a full season I reckon, and this should be it, if he doesn't take his chance Arsenal would probably go for another striker next summer.

#45 ·
I predicted it 2 years ago when I said that he'd be the next Ronaldinho in this forum. Once again I have been proven right :stuckup: and yet again Spurs didn't listen to me :groan:

Instead of getting him, they got Andy Reid. I actually emailed the club telling them to have a look at him (and Daniel de Ridder :eek: ) a few years back.

#46 ·
The Merengue said:
I hope he doesn't turn into something of a Recoba, with outrageous talent but always unsettled. RvP needs a full season I reckon, and this should be it, if he doesn't take his chance Arsenal would probably go for another striker next summer.
No, just no.

RvP will be a very good player for Arsenal and I like him but no Alvaro Recoba, best left foot I've ever seen mate, his talent is just scary, skill, pace, could score from anywhere, amazing vision, just a genius, If Arsenal got Recoba at 22 it would be instant success, compare him to Bergkamp or something not Chino in terms of potential, he has a very nice left foot but I don't think you really understand how big Recoba could of been outside Inter, Pirlo Bergkamps Baggios Mutus Seedorfs etc etc couldn't do as well as him. Its impossible imagining Moratti getting rid of him the same way he did to Bergkamp, if he went to Highbury they'd build a statue outside the staduim, the size of the pitch is mad with Henry it would be madder, not a fair comparison. You looking at a wasted Recoba at Inter rather than a Recoba that is free, RvP will be free under Wenger.

Back to RvP, he will be a class act :thumbsup:

#47 ·
:rollani:

I understand you a big Recoba fan mate, and I always do say he is an A-class talent, and thats why I refer to him whenever I talk of talented players who might go to waste because I know how much Recoba's wasted.

Anyway yeah, hopefully the same fate's not gonna fall on RvP.

#49 ·
The Merengue said:
I understand you a big Recoba fan mate, and I always do say he is an A-class talent, and thats why I refer to him whenever I talk of talented players who might go to waste because I know how much Recoba's wasted.

Anyway yeah, hopefully the same fate's not gonna fall on RvP.
RvP is free and not treated like a robot so I think he has a good future ahead of him but my point was that comparison is not fair, not because of talent because I can find other talents who were treated like gods and still messed up, but because its Inter, Recoba forfilled his talent, was a world class player and is still class now, the thing is he never left Inter, his attitude or ability is second to none.

Anyway your right Recoba is the biggest waste of talent of his time but not because he didn't get there or fight, but because of the freak situation he allowed himself to be in at Inter for so long, he never let his talent go but never let himself be free, RvP won't have this problem, he has more sense.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.