Xtratime Community banner

Europa League Final: Atlético de Madrid vs Athletic Club

44K views 1K replies 65 participants last post by  BioJedi 
#1 ·
Draw for the Playoff round on Friday. :)

#922 ·
Are we in Europa either way for next year?

Since we already made the final for Copa and Barça assured CL, does that give us a spot for Europa next year?

And if we win the whole thing, do we get automatic entry as holders for next year either way?

A bit unclear on the rules. Thanks!

#923 ·
We are qualified to EL for next year, but if we win the cup or take the 5th place in the league we will enter the EL later

About the match, the ambient at San Mames was incredible once again. I liked Schalke very much, the fougt untill the end, at the first half we couldn't do our playing stile but in the second one the team was that we are seeing in EL this year

Appart from a couple of incidents, there have been a friendly rivalry with Schalke fans

Many people are celebrating in this moment the pass to semis in Bilbao pubs (even some Germans too), I had to come because tomorrow Im going on a trip

#925 ·
Well done to Athletic in kicking out the Germans from Europe! :thumbsup:

I would have prefered to face you in the final but if you beat us I will surely be rooting for you against the Spanish. ;)

#926 ·
We're in the semi finals of Europe, could never have imagined such a season. :proud:

Ibai finally got his first goal and hopefully the first of many, he's going to become a great at this club, along with almost all the members that aren't greats already that featured this season.

We face one of my favorite teams and we're way above them in quality, I think it will be the easiest tie so far in the knock out phase. Sá Pinto is proving to be quite a good coach with a team that can resemble our tactic for moments but with some inadequate individuals and less cooperative as a team. They did knockout Manchester City, but as a Sporting supporter even I have to admit it was under disgraceful circumstances considering the timewasting and diving during the second leg. Anyway if we're not too tired and Iturraspe has a good game we will go through.

The Lions from Bilbao vs The Lions from Lisbon :) Hopefully our supporters will get along.

#927 ·
Well I think that the semis vs Sporting are going to be very hard, I fear them.

Haven't seen Sporting playing but heard that they are a very good counter attack team, and in the firt match we have not Javi Martinez

Appart from that, in this match we are favorites, we are also favorites to win the EL (have a look at betting houses) and this is not good. In the previous matches vs United and Schalke we weren't favourites (maybe because we were unknown), but now they fear us, they are aware, and their trainer is someone who knows Basque football very well.

Allthough we have a very good team capable for everything and that everybody is waiting to see the gabarra again, Im a bit pesimistic in this semifinal

#930 ·
The main issue in the semifinal is that unlike United or Schalke, Sporting feels comfortable sitting back and waiting, and we know we have trouble to open defensive teams. Hence, the eliminatory will probably look more like the Lokomotiv one than the last two.

Said this, I'm sure we'll manage to do it.;)

#936 ·
Gurpegi is back! :happy::happy:

Appart from what he can help from the pitch this will undoubtlely be a morale boost for the team.:) Bielsa has also called Javi Martínez even though he is suspended.

Players called-up by Marcelo Bielsa (22) for the game in Lisbon:

Raúl, Iraizoz.
Ekiza, San José, Koikili, Amorebieta, Javi Martínez, Aurtenetxe, Iraola, Ramalho.
Gurpegi, Herrera, Iturraspe, Susaeta, D.López, De Marcos, Gabilondo, Galarreta.
Toquero, Muniain, Ibai Gómez, Llorente.

Probable XI:

Gorka Iraizoz

Andoni Iraola - Borja Ekiza - Fernando Amorebieta - Jon Aurtenetxe

Ander Iturraspe

Markel Susaeta - Ander Herrera - Óscar de Marcos - Iker Muniain

Fernando Llorente​

#938 ·
Europa League Semifinal: Sporting Clube de Portugal vs Athletic Club
Date: Thursday, April 19th

Time: 09:05pm local time

Top scorers in Athletic (all competitions)
1. Fernando LLORENTE Torres 28
2. Markel SUSAETA Laskurain 12
3. Iker MUNIAIN Goñi 9
-. Óscar DE MARCOS Arana 9
5. Ander HERRERA Agüera 4
-. Gaizka TOQUERO Pinedo 4
-. JAVIer MARTÍNEZ Aginaga 4
7. Igor GABILONDO del Campo 3
-. Jon AURTENETXE Borde 3
-. Fernando AMOREBIETA Mardaras 3
-. Mikel SAN JOSÉ Domínguez 3
11. DAVID LÓPEZ Moreno 2
12. Andoni IRAOLA Sagarna 1
--. Ander ITURRASPE Derteano 1
--. IBAI Gómez Pérez 1

Games played, total(starter) in all competitions
1. Markel SUSAETA Laskurain 54 (50)
2. Gorka IRAIZOZ Moreno 53 (53)
3. Iker MUNIAIN Goñi 52 (49)
4. Ander ITURRASPE Derteano 51 (47)
5. Andoni IRAOLA Sagarna 50 (48)
6. Óscar DE MARCOS Arana 49 (49)
7. JAVIer MARTÍNEZ Aginaga 48 (48)
8. Jon AURTENETXE Borde 48 (45)
9. Gaizka TOQUERO Pinedo 47 (15)
10. Fernando LLORENTE Torres 45 (40)
11. Ander HERRERA Agüera 45 (38)
12. Fernando AMOREBIETA Mardaras 44 (42)
13. Mikel SAN JOSÉ Domínguez 34 (17)
14. IÑIGO PÉREZ Soto 34 (14)
15. Borja EKIZA Imaz 23 (13)
16. IBAI Gómez Pérez 20 (3)
17. Igor GABILONDO del Campo 18 (10)
18. DAVID LÓPEZ Moreno 17 (4)
19. Carlos GURPEGI Nausia 9 (8)
20. IGOR MARTÍNEZ Caseras 2 (0)
21. RAÚL Fernández Mateos 1 (1)
22. Jonás RAMALHO Chimeno 1 (0)
--. Iñigo Ruiz de GALARRETA Etxeberria 1 (0)
24. KOIKILI Lertxundi del Campo 0 (0)
--. Iban ZUBIAURRE Urrutia 0 (0)
--. AITOR OCIO Carrión 0 (0)
--. Xabier CASTILLO Aranburu 0 (0)
--. GUILLERMO Fernández Hierro 0 (0)
--. Kepa ARRIZABALAGA Revuelta 0 (0)
--. Álvaro PEÑA Herrero 0 (0)

#940 ·
This is about to start!!!

Confirmed lineup:

Gorka Iraizoz

Andoni Iraola - Borja Ekiza - Fernando Amorebieta - Jon Aurtenetxe

Ander Iturraspe

Markel Susatea - Ander Herrera - Óscar de Marcos - Iker Muniain

Fernando Llorente

Bench:

GK Raúl Fernández
DF Mikel San José
DF Koikili Lertxundi
DF Jonás Ramalho
MF Igor Gabilondo
FW Ibai Gómez
FW Gaizka Toquero

Left out: Javi Martínez (suspended), Iñigo Ruiz de Galarreta, David López, Carlos Gurpegi.

#944 ·
Too bad in the first half! Iturraspe is too lonely in midfield, I don't know why Herrera and De Marcos don't help him move the ball. Hopefully Sporting's physicall effort turns into tireness in the second half!

They want a slow game and they are making it, we need more people in midfield to put some speed!

#947 · (Edited)
Aurte Aurte Aurte Aurte Aurte Aurte Aurte Aurte Aurte Aurte!!!!!!!

Set piece from the free kick. Smooth finish.

0-1 Athletic. With the way this game has gone, I'll take it back to San Mames this week...although 2-0 would be the deathknell. Don't want to get too overeager and give up a counterattack though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.