Xtratime Community banner

Basque players in international games

29K views 211 replies 34 participants last post by  Jonep 
#1 ·
César Azpilikueta, Javi Martínez, Xabi Alonso and Fernando Llorente are in Vicente Del Bosque's 30 players pre-list.

Andoni Iraola, Natxo Monreal and Mikel Arteta haven't made it in the end. Same calmed summer for Stéphane Ruffier, he is not in Domenech's pre-list.

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
Nope, and there has been (very optimistic) calls for him to be called up for England. It wont happen but he would do well for England, can play on the left and more creative than any of our current players (possibly Joe Cole aside).

Interesting that the two 'foreign' players being linked with England are both Basques (Almunia being the other one).

Anyway, pleasantly surprised about Javimar's inclusion, can't see him getting a game though with Xavi, Iniesta, Xabi and Fabregas ahead of him. He should play in some of the friendlies though hopefully.

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
Yeah. I think you can call them both up for England on FM, now I think about it. Almunia definitely.
Can you? Haven't got the latest version but would be surprised if true as I don't think either can be called up for England.

The home nations have this gentleman's agreement that basically prevents players being called up through residency. It has been adjusted recently but would still prevent Arteta/Almunia being called up. I don't think it would happen anyway though.

I'm not keen on foreign players playing in a national team. If they've lived there since a young age then maybe, but after just a few years? :thmbdown:

#20 ·
As someone from the outside it appears almost as if the the first team/certain players are untouchable. Torres came on when he isn't completely fit and Llorente would have made an impact even if it means taking Villa off.

I can understand Busquets being chosen ahead of Javimar as he's a more defensive player but do you really need two of them in midfield? Also Javi would have brought more urgency late on when they needed a goal.

But hey, that's just my views. England are in a much worse state at the moment, I would take the whole Athletic squad (or even the reserves!) over England's right now.

#22 ·
Iparralde goalkeeper Stéphane Ruffier has joined the French NT stage in South Africa, even if FIFA has rejected (by now) his inclusion in the squad instead of the injured Carrasso.

Basically, as you all now FIFA says you cannot make changes once the tournament has started, France says the goalkeeper position is different to the rest.

Anyway, it does look like Stéphane won't last much in South Africa, looks like Les Bleus will go back home soon. Domenech is a nice guy, but it does look like he has totally lost control of his squad.

--

We cannot forget another basque in the World Cup, Mr.Anti-Athletic referee Undiano Mallenco showing his "class" in the Germany-Serbia.

#29 ·
Neither Llorente/Javimar start against Honduras. Perhaps Llorente may come on in second half if Spain get a couple more (currently leading 1-0, should be more).

I think their best chance of playing went when Spain lost their first game. If they had gone into their last game (v Chile) already through then perhaps a few would have been rested, but it wont happen now.

Xabi Alonso has done well, had a shot from halfway line, nowhere near though :D

#32 ·
Javi couldn't make much in a game which was fixed when he entered the pitch.

Terrible mistake by Erreala's goalie Claudio Bravo giving the first goal to Villa and the qualification to Spain, added to the referee falling to Torres' theatre skills.

#40 ·
Back on topic ;), Xabi starts (and is doing alright), Javimar and Llorente on bench as usual.

Spain struggling for width and goals. Don't think Xabi will be taken off, but more likely Cesc or Navas will come on than Javimar. Llorente would be good to bring on in last 20 mins if Spain still need a goal, but I think Del Bosque has forgotten he is in the squad :(.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.