Semi-finals
2009-12-29
15:00 Gamba Osaka - Vegalta Sendai National Stadium, Tokyo

2009-12-29
13:00 Shimizu S-Pulse - Nagoya Grampus Shizuoka Stadium, Fukuroi

Final
2010-01-01
14:00 】 National Stadium, Tokyo
Some familiar names but who the hell are Vegalta Sendai?

Important semi for the 2 sides below. Both haven't qualified for the Champions League and could do with getting the last ticket to that competition

#93 ·
SOCCER

1. Naohiro Takahara (Urawa-Suwon) 160,000,000

2. Shunsuke Nakamura (Yokohama F Marinos) 140,000,000

3. Yuji Nakazawa (Yokohama) 120,000,000

4. Marcus Tulio Tanaka (Nagoya Grampus) 120,000,000

5. Yasuhito Endo (Gamba Osaka) 110,000,000

6. Keisuke Honda (CSKA Moscow) 109,000,000

(Mainichi Japan) December 28, 2010

#97 ·
Ah ok. 108yen = 1 euro. Decent wages there

What a list, all such excellent players. :thumbsup:
Takahara? :pp

The Japanese Dirk Kuijt

#95 ·
Million what are those?

#102 ·
Yeah they're cool but there must be a Japanese Van Bommel somewhere :D Surely?

#103 ·
van Bommel is just a dirty prick, if he could play fair enough I'd forgive him but I'm not sure if it's me or was he a much better player while at PSV?

The Japanese have their destroyers, I'd name Hashimoto and Abe recently then Fukunishi and Toda before him or even further back Yamaguchi and Hattori but you'd be hard pressed to call any of them dirty.

#108 ·
van Bommel is just a dirty prick, if he could play fair enough I'd forgive him but I'm not sure if it's me or was he a much better player while at PSV?

He stood out more at PSV. That's for sure but he did also for Bayern when he scored those important goals in the CL.

#104 ·
I was talking about it recently, and I heard it from another person as well, that Japan is a nation of contrasts, of contradictions. On one hand there's an image of 'properness', words that spring to mind such as 'formal', 'respectful', etc. Then, also, there is that Japan can be so obscene, we all know the association of freaky and weird cultural stuff in Nippon.

"I agree with the photographer very much when he says that Japan appears very contradictory. On one hand I hear so much people saying that in this land, well, they're so concerned with display, manner, face; but also Japan can be so obscene and is associated on certain levels for that, too, aren't they? Japan... a few things, many people there are so concerned about how a group will perceive them. The losing face thing again. If a family is carrying a suffering hikikomori, they won't seek outside help as they don't want the shame, they don't want the neighborhood to know a hikikomori lives with them. Aside that, someone who has lost a job will either pretend to go on to his work or try and find a job without telling his or her family the truth."

Sometimes I wonder if these perceptions are true... because I've read on other forums and they do complain about the diving of some Japanese players, like Kisho Yano, of Freiburg. And Europe didn't corrupt him. Okubo has done it too. Not all the players are saints.

#105 ·
イラ;8308017 said:
I was talking about it recently, and I heard it from another person as well, that Japan is a nation of contrasts, of contradictions. On one hand there's an image of 'properness', words that spring to mind such as 'formal', 'respectful', etc. Then, also, there is that Japan can be so obscene, we all know the association of freaky and weird cultural stuff in Nippon.

"I agree with the photographer very much when he says that Japan appears very contradictory. On one hand I hear so much people saying that in this land, well, they're so concerned with display, manner, face; but also Japan can be so obscene and is associated on certain levels for that, too, aren't they? Japan... a few things, many people there are so concerned about how a group will perceive them. The losing face thing again. If a family is carrying a suffering hikikomori, they won't seek outside help as they don't want the shame, they don't want the neighborhood to know a hikikomori lives with them. Aside that, someone who has lost a job will either pretend to go on to his work or try and find a job without telling his or her family the truth."

Sometimes I wonder if these perceptions are true... because I've read on other forums and they do complain about the diving of some Japanese players, like Kisho Yano, of Freiburg. And Europe didn't corrupt him. Okubo has done it too. Not all the players are saints.
Any Japanese here? Is it true that football is the second most popular sports in Japan?

#107 ·
イラ;8308568 said:
No one that I've known to be regular ... and I seen a poll regarding popular sports in Japan, baseball was first, dominating in the region of the sixty-something percent, and football was second, around twenty-something percent. Then followed sumo and other obscure attractions.
Oh, no regular Japanese forummers here?

#110 ·
Okazaki on his way to Vfb Stuttgart on a free. Good enough to make an impact?

#111 ·

Gamba Osaka's Michi Yasuda to Vitesse Arnhem

How come he isn't in the Asian Cup squad btw? not that good?

#116 ·
During the World Cup, Japan did well, of course, and captured the attention of the nation. On television I remember seeing something, they were interviewing a few people and asking them questions about Japanese football. One thing they said was that they don't follow J-League but they were being swept up in WC fever like the rest of their countrymen. Hearing stuff like this is easy in Australia and the US etc. I guess.

But I watch J-League matches and attendances are good, fans are wonderful, the league is generally thought of as the best in Asia, standing out so far as quality, professionalism. So obviously there is interest. The league debuted in '92 and has maintained while the A-League struggles for attendances...

I've read that some feel older folks, as you say, and younger children enjoy baseball while the prime grouping for football is more in the range of 18-35. Makes me think of the Yoko Ogawa novel "The Housekeeper and The Professor," the prof was obsessed with numbers and his interest in baseball was derived via stats and the housekeeper's son loved baseball. Learned a lot from their interactions.

#118 ·
Japan doubtful for Copa America

Japan's football chief is visiting South America bearing the news that the Asian champions may have to pull out of the Copa America after a massive natural disaster.

Japan Football Association president Junji Ogura left for Asuncion on Sunday to hold talks with the head of the Paraguay-based South American confederation CONMEBOL and later with organisers of July's Copa America in Argentina.

Japan and Mexico are guests from other continental associations invited to the 2011 event.

"We had asked to be invited to the South American championship, first of all. Therefore, it is not for us to make a decision unilaterally," Ogura told Japanese media before departure.

"I will objectively explain the situation in Japan and ask for their judgement."

The J-League has suspended its regular season for five rounds until April 23 to save the electricity used to stage night matches.

During a six-day tour of South America, Ogura is due to meet with CONMEBOL president Nicolas Leoz on Monday and later with Argentina Football Association president Julio Grondona and other Argentine football officials.

The South American continental cup would be a world-class test for the Samurai Blue, who won a record fourth AFC Asian Cup in January, before they kick off their qualifying campaign for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

Ogura said that national coach Alberto Zaccheroni had left the matter in his hands.

"He (Zaccheroni) naturally wants to play against the strong teams," Ogura said. "He understands that it is not realistic to consider sending a team with the best members" because of the disruption to the domestic calendar.

"He is leaving everything to me in the end."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.