Saturday Doubleheader [Archive] - Xtratime Community

Saturday Doubleheader

Kerry
May 11th, 2001, 20:57
Ticket sales for Saturday's doubleheader in Washington D.C. for WUSA and MLS games have reached 30,000. Expect another 5,000 to 10,000 walkups and we might have the start of something grand.

Oldsocfan
May 11th, 2001, 21:04
Let's hope the weather holds up. I hear a thunder storm is coming this way tomorrow. :(

Herndonite
May 11th, 2001, 22:39
I've put my wife on alert that if the weather holds out, I'm going to head off to RFK and buy a ticket at the gate. I want to be there for Jeff Agoos' first game at RFK as a non-DC United player and I want to see Landon Donovan in action in the flesh.

Don't really care about the women's match. :undecide:

Oldsocfan
May 12th, 2001, 03:05
Any precipitation would ruin a night game, not to mention the walk-up crowd. Although I have gone to plenty of those myself! :)

nancita54
May 13th, 2001, 02:20
Of course, it may not affect anybody but me: It rained hard in town, and hail!! but when we got back to the place in the country, narry a drop! But we are about 30 miles from NC, so that is a good distance away.

Yep, the walkup crowd will be lots smaller if they stand in the rain to pay for their tickets. Ideally there will be a slight drizzle the last 5 minutes, and a blinding deluge about an hour after the parking lot is empty. The probably need the rain..... :)

Herndonite
May 13th, 2001, 14:16
The first half was all San Jose as they kept streaking down the field on dangerous counterattacks. They finally connected on a long run and shot by Ian Russell. Russell was dangerous throughout the game--I'd never even heard of him before.

DC was very lucky to escape the half down just one goal. To their credit, they clearly made some good adjustments at the break and came out in dominating fashion in the second half. Eric Denton made up for an earlier defensive miscue by making a fantastic run with ball -- beating two defenders -- and then unleashing a 20-yard blast into the top left corner. After more pressure, DC scored again four minutes later after San Jose was called for a hand ball in the box. Moreno took the PK.

A few minutes later, DC's right back, Craig Zidae, made a horrible play on a ball, missed it, and San Jose easily scored to tie it up.

In the 78th minute, Zack Ibsen received a red card for a hard tackle on Convey. DC pressured San Jose to no avail. Finally, in injury time, San Jose trapped DC in its own penalty, connecting pass after pass as the DC defense seemed mesmerized. The sequence ended with Lagos blasting home a shot into the upper right corner.

Rongen was quoted in the Post as being pissed at his defense (justifiably) and said changes are coming. On the good side, Conteh and Moreno looked good together and Convey continues to impress. Etcheverry had another less-than-stellar match -- his free kicks and corner kicks were especially ineffective.

Landon Donovan had a quiet match with no real good scoring chances.

Oldsocfan
May 13th, 2001, 14:59
Denton's goal was indeed a beauty, Hern. The ball flew into the top right corner before I could even blink! :)

Zaidie had an off game last night, with at least one goal being totally responsible. Talley had some good games in the past but mostly, he is just a hack. Moreno needs to play up front and not a withdrawn forward. Albright, I give up on this guy.

Herndonite
May 13th, 2001, 16:17
Originally posted by Oldsocfan
Denton's goal was indeed a beauty, Hern. The ball flew into the top right corner before I could even blink! :)

Sorry to nit-pick, OSF, but it was the top left corner, if you're facing the goal. :stuckup:

Oldsocfan
May 13th, 2001, 17:01
You are correct, of course, Hern. :)

I was thinking more from the goalie's perspective. If Denton is capable of dribbling and shooting, why is he not playing left mid then. Can't Rongen find a natural left back?

That Russel guy from San Jose, he is quite impressive, don't you think? I would use him on the right flank over Albright any time if I had the choice.

nancita54
May 16th, 2001, 16:19
This is my third answer.

My machine keeps throwing away my stuff and messing up my connection. So: I am not going to preview the typing, just in case the bug is there. I am not going to make any smileys. The facts are these: 1)I am home. 2)Thanks for the info. 3)I watched the third period of the Devils vs. Penguins and didn't go to sleep.

If this answer doesn't make it onto the thread, I will e-mail. I am so bummed, I think I'll go eat ice cream.

Oldsocfan
May 16th, 2001, 16:44
Hey, we got it, Nan! :excited:

I know how frustrating it is when computers act up. That's why we buy ice cream and brownies! :D

Freddie
May 16th, 2001, 16:57
Ice Cream Binge. Better than a fifth of Jack Daniels and a pack of Camels. ;)