Ardiles plans dangerous attacking style for Beitar [Archive] - Xtratime Community

Ardiles plans dangerous attacking style for Beitar

ags
June 2nd, 2006, 05:39
New Betar Jerusalem manager Ossie Ardiles said he intends to bring a "dangerous and aggressive" style of attacking football to the club.

The former Tottenham Hotspur and Swindon coach spoke passionately about his plans to mold a team capable of taking the Israeli Premier League title, and said he would not be averse to employing the controversial diamond formation at Betar.

"Last year we finished in third place and now we want to finish in first place," Ardiles stated at the press conference held at the David Citadel Hotel in the capital. "We are very happy to be in the UEFA Cup, but of course we would like to be in the Champions League. So this will be a very important season for us, and we are going to do everything possible to achieve that."

"I played with Luis Fernandez at Paris Saint Germain in 1982. He was the only one who spoke Spanish so we immediately had a friendship. He helped me a lot... He was just starting out but he was a wonderful player.

"I talked with him yesterday and we had a very long chat. We talked about the club. He told me to be careful with the press here."

Since Ardiles agreed to join the club Betar has opened negotiations with a number of players, including former Hapoel Tel Aviv captain Shimon Gershon. Ardiles said he had given the club permission "to sign as many Israeli players as possible."

The Argentinian, who answered all questions in English, said he had watched videos and DVDs of the current Betar squad while in his Dubai hotel room before flying to Israel and said he was "pretty happy" with the squad he has.

He confirmed that Frenchmen Fabrice Fernandes and Jerome Leroy would be staying at the club, but he is also looking at bring in three foreigners in - a defensive midfielder and two strikers.

ירוק OLE!
June 2nd, 2006, 06:23
2 strikers? one will do, no? Asulin is back on bench.....i knew this crap would happen and this guy is one of our main future strikers for the NT, i hope he gets a fair amount of minutes. A defensive midfielder is a good move, but keep Fernandes, i really hate the guy, he's gonna cause problems unless Ardiles knows how to put him in his place. Does anyone know how Ardiles handles players like Fernandes in the past?

Kappa21
June 2nd, 2006, 07:07
how about 1 defence, 1 midfield and 1 striker...

Gilli
June 2nd, 2006, 17:33
I seriously hope he won't do it, playing with 1 holding midfielder is a disaster IMO.

Also it's a very bad decision to keep Fabrice Fernandes when you have Zandberg. And besides it doesn't look like we're after foreign players at all, we just freed N'sumbo for no reason??? We have 2 foreigners and the squad is nearly complete, I just hope that we'll sign some serious players and not pisspoor foreigners like the ones Hapoel Tel Aviv choose.

Del Piero
June 2nd, 2006, 20:17
If he brings two strikers, then I hope Asulin is released . He'll just be pissed on the bench and create problems. There are too many players..........

Players who should be released IMO :

Malichi
Azu
Afek
Danin
Asulin
Fernandes

Players who should be bought :

Tamuz
1 foreigner striker
1 foreigner DM
1 RB ? maybe another keeper...

This should be our lineup IMO:

------Kornfine----
-New RB/Ziv-----Gershon (Amsalem)----Ben Yosef----Gafni (Ziv/Amsalem)
---------------Alberman (New DM?)-------------
---------Bruchian----------------Zandberg------
----------Leroy----------------------------
-------------Tamuz (Ben Shushan/New Striker?)-------Itzchaki

So many players but I think he'll stick with only Alberman as DM and perhaps Brucihian will defend more, because he's offensive... still who knows.

Gilli
June 3rd, 2006, 14:43
Your lineup looks pretty much spot on. But I think Asulin will be prefered over Itzhaki, Tamuz will not be a starter since we will bring a foreign attacker and Fernandes will probably become a right winger since he can also play on the right. I prefer Bruchian of course...