Xtratime Community banner

WC 2018 Qualifications - Milli's Quest

6K views 80 replies 9 participants last post by  Azerkid 
#1 ·
The draw for the UEFA zone will take place on 25 July 2015 in St. Petersburg.

1st Pot

Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Romania, England, Wales, Portugal, Spain, Croatia or Italy

2nd Pot

Croatia or Italy, Slovakia, Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic, France, Iceland, Denmark, Bosnia-Herzegovina*

3rd Pot

Poland, Ukraine, Scotland, Hungary, Sweden, Albania, N Ireland, Serbia, Greece

4th Pot

Turkey, Slovenia, Israel, Republic of Ireland, Norway, Bulgaria, Faroe Islands, Montenegro, Estonia*

5th Pot

Cyprus, Latvia, Armenia, Finland, Belarus, Macedonia, Azerbaijan, Lithuania, Moldova

6th Pot

Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Georgia, Malta, San Marino, Andorra

See less See more
#28 ·
In five competitive matches at their new San Marino Stadium the home side have yet to score, though their UEFA EURO 2016 campaign saw some promise with a 0-0 draw against Estonia and only narrow defeats by Lithuania and Slovenia. Then again Azerbaijan have just a sole competitive away victory to their name, 2-0 in Liechtenstein on 10 October 2009.

#33 ·
First time impression. Very poor from milli. Afran screwing every ball, Arif Dashdamirov is scared to go upfront, Aghabala Ramazanov running randomly, Nazarov wasting position with dribbling, Kamran Aghayev making childish errors...

Pls, bring on, Emin, Eddy, Ramil

#44 ·
HT: Azerbaijan 1-0 Norway. Our NT used its only chance very well but midfield was very poor. Ramazanov and Medvedev so far are best, while Mirzabekov, Eddy, Nazarov and Amirguliyev are worst.

P.S Romania is having field day in armenia :D

#46 ·
I watched the last 25 minutes and was very impressed with our organization. There was no midfield - true - and Prosinecki clearly realized this fact and played very defensively. We played counter-attacking football with 5 defenders and two strikers. We had several great opportunities to create goal-scoring chances, but our decision-making in the final third of the field wasn't great. Sheydayev was involved when he came on, but he very much lacks sharpness due to his lack of playing time at Trabzonspor.

A decision to play at the National Stadium was honestly dumb. There were too many empty seats and I would rather have us play at Tofik Bahramov or Bakcell.

I am expecting the same ultra-defensive approach versus the Czech Republic on Tuesday. I think we can seriously talk about a quality jump under Prosinecki if we manage to earn a point against the Czechs.

#47 · (Edited)
I think we gave Norway too much room to play and we're too scared to concede. but nontheless we played very organized and tight in the back - I think Norway had at least 15 corners in which they couldnt threaten Kamran and our 175-180 cm tall defence. Agabala was a workhorse on the flank and did a great job shutting down that Arab guy from Norway, and Max/Rashad used their speed and positiong to their advantage - Norway lacks creativity going forward- its the typical long ball to the box hoping to knock it down and poach in a loose ball- we we're well prepared on set pieces and only made a few errors in passing but no major blunders to give Norway a chance. In the last 15 mins, once Sheydayev came on and Nazarov moved to CAM we managed to create chances and hold the ball enough to keep Norway away from our goal. Overall, ugly game play but a beautiful result. I'd like to see Gurbanov as a RW, Agabala as a LW, with Nazarov playing under Sheidayev. I take this bunker football as long as we can keep scalping points in our group: :D

#50 ·
I think we gave Norway too much room to play and we're too scared to concede. but nontheless we played very organized and tight in the back - I think Norway had at least 15 corners in which they couldnt threaten Kamran and our 175-180 cm tall defence. Agabala was a workhorse on the flank and did a great job shutting down that Arab guy from Norway, and Max/Rashad used their speed and positiong to their advantage - Norway lacks creativity going forward- its the typical long ball to the box hoping to knock it down and poach in a loose ball- we we're well prepared on set pieces and only made a few errors in passing but no major blunders to give Norway a chance. In the last 15 mins, once Sheydayev came on and Nazarov moved to CAM we managed to create chances and hold the ball enough to keep Norway away from our goal. Overall, ugly game play but a beautiful result. I'd like to see Gurbanov as a RW, Agabala as a LW, with Nazarov playing under Sheidayev. I take this bunker football as long as we can keep scalping points in our group: :D
Me too. I will be happy with a point against Czechs :grin2:

#49 ·
good result, sub par performance

I did not know that Gurbanov was on the pitch until he was subbed out. Ramazanov made too many wrong decisions either holding the ball too long or dispensing poorly timed passes. Sheydayev should have been subbed in earlier. Amirguliyev's sloppy play can be a major liability. Thankfully Norwegians were just as sloppy.

Finally, how hard is it to maintain at least one goddamn football pitch in the city in proper condition? The pitch was soggy and uneven as hell and was a major hindrance for our team which relies on short passes and finesse.

#51 ·
Huge result for you guys.

#52 ·
Thank u!

Tomorrow's squad:

===========================Aghayev============================
===Mirzabekov===Medvedev===Sadygov (if doubtful, Badavi to replace him)===Dashdamirov
=======Garayev======Amirguliyev========Nazarov========Alasgarov========
=================R. Gurbanov================Sheydayev=============

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.