Merger of conmebol and concacaf for 48 team WC qualifying? - Page 3 - Xtratime Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 57 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2017, 20:32
Star Player

Yet another circus, if you ask me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 57 (permalink) Old January 12th, 2017, 06:05
Rising Star

I would like to know why they come with this idea. We are going to find games with big score. This idea is not génial ...
post #43 of 57 (permalink) Old January 12th, 2017, 07:58
D10S
Premier Player

Teams: Tatung FC, FC United, South China, Milan, Man Utd
Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit View Post
And as expected, the Caribbean Football Union (CBU) rich represents roughly 3/4ths of CONCACAF members are threatening to break away from CONCACAF to form their own confederation
The should form: English(-speaking) West Indies national team, Spanish(-speaking) West Indies national team, French(-speaking) West Indies national team and Dutch(-speaking) West Indies national team, instead of doing a Balkan under the name of (petty) nationalism.

Only Jamaica and Trinidad could field a decent team these days.

Nulli Secundus in Oriente

Last edited by cumi2got; January 12th, 2017 at 08:08.

post #44 of 57 (permalink) Old January 12th, 2017, 10:25
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Bayern München
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joudre View Post
I would like to know why they come with this idea. We are going to find games with big score. This idea is not génial ...
That one is easy to answer. Money and votes for Infantino in the next election.

Dirk Nowitzki Basketball God
post #45 of 57 (permalink) Old January 12th, 2017, 12:27
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumi2got View Post

Only Jamaica and Trinidad could field a decent team these days.
Honestly I think Haiti has surpassed Trinidad these days, with Curacao emerging as well as a mid-level CONCACAF team thanks to getting some Eredivisie players to play for them. Trinidad has really fallen off, they didn't even qualify for the Gold Cup and their players aren't even going to Europe anymore, pretty much MLS is the max for their players now

Out of all these teams though, only Jamaica I think can realistically qualify for a 32-team World Cup, they were pretty unfortunate to draw Costa Rica, Panama in their WCQ group while Trinidad got only the US (+Guatemala and some Caribbean minnow). What hurt Jamaica was their low FIFA Ranking in part to a lot of these Gold Cup qualifying matches are outside FIFA international windows, and in one tournament they really struggled which happened to be before the WCQ draw
post #46 of 57 (permalink) Old January 12th, 2017, 14:19 Thread Starter
We will ROCK u
Star Player

Teams: concacaf teams , Portugal
ASN article: 48-Team World Cup Is a Bad Idea?With One Caveat

48-Team World Cup Is a Bad Idea—With One Caveat

Not only is the 2022 World Cup still heading to Qatar—an absolute joke—but now final confirmation came from Switzerland that the 2026 World Cup will expand to 48 teams with groups of three instead of groups of four. The knockout stages will now feature 32 teams.

This is a bad idea and is nothing more than a cash grab for FIFA. But the victim here is not necessarily the tournament itself, or those who enjoy it, despite the fact that it will soon include a bunch of teams that do not really belong.

The real loss is the sense of excitement and urgency that comes with the World Cup qualifying process. Of course there will be pressure-filled games to determine who advances to the World Cup but that pressure will be shifted from deserving teams to entirely mediocre teams battling it out for the remaining spots.

This is bad news for U.S Soccers and its fans—unless a rumored merger takes place.

It was floated around last week that FIFA might merge CONCACAF with South America’s CONMEBOL for a super region that would likely send 12-13 teams to the World Cup .

American fans might not like this development because it could make it harder for the U.S. to qualify for the World Cup. But a merger like this would elevate the growth of the sport in this country in a signifcant way. Now instead of repeatedly facing familiar foes like Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, and Mexico, the U.S. would develop meaningful rivalries with the likes of Colombia, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, and Chile.

Arrg , hes right. I may stop watchin sawker....I hope they merge conmebol and concacaf

Pulisic Mexico Costa Rica

Wood/Dempsey concacaf region , N-W-O!!!
post #47 of 57 (permalink) Old January 12th, 2017, 14:36
Forum Manager
Legend

Meaningful rivalries with Brazil or Argentina? I probably have a different understanding of the word meaningful.

post #48 of 57 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2017, 03:00
D10S
Premier Player

Teams: Tatung FC, FC United, South China, Milan, Man Utd
http://resources.fifa.com/mm/documen...ls_neutral.pdf

4 Options TBD later.
Format 1
 Number of teams – 40 teams with 8 groups of 5 teams each (8x5)
 Number of matches – 88
 Number of days – 32
Format 2
 Number of teams – 40 teams with 10 groups of 4 teams each (10x4)
 Number of matches – 76
 Number of days – 32
Format 3
 Number of teams – 48 teams with 16 teams qualifying directly for the group stage and a 32-
team initial play-off stage
 Number of matches – 80
 Number of days – 32 (plus an additional 6-7 days for the 32-team play-off stage)
Format 4
 Number of teams – 48 teams with 16 groups of 3 teams each (16x3)
 Number of matches – 80
 Number of days – 32

IMO, Format 3 is a better compromise rather than the others.

Nulli Secundus in Oriente
post #49 of 57 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2017, 10:44
World Class Player

Teams: Kingdom of Bosnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit View Post
Honestly I think Haiti has surpassedP Trinidad these days, with Curacao emerging as well as a mid-level CONCACAF team thanks to getting some Eredivisie players to play for them. Trinidad has really fallen off, they didn't even qualify for the Gold Cup and their players aren't even going to Europe anymore, pretty much MLS is the max for their players now

Out of all these teams though, only Jamaica I think can realistically qualify for a 32-team World Cup, they were pretty unfortunate to draw Costa Rica, Panama in their WCQ group while Trinidad got only the US (+Guatemala and some Caribbean minnow). What hurt Jamaica was their low FIFA Ranking in part to a lot of these Gold Cup qualifying matches are outside FIFA international windows, and in one tournament they really struggled which happened to be before the WCQ draw
Haita are using that Sante Ria to beat opposition teams

Kapetan Gradascevic - Dragon of Bosnia - Never Forget

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnian_Uprising_(1831%E2%80%9332)
post #50 of 57 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2017, 11:36
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Videoton, Tajik NT
it's Voodoo in Haiti, it's Santería in Cuba, but basically same thing
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2017, 16:50
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
The CONCACAF president shot down these rumors today. Despite this, the Caribbean are still talking about a split, which would make CONCACAF as weak as OFC/CONMEBOL when it comes to voting power
post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2017, 14:23
Community Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Milan
Something I didn't think of until I read it elsewhere, don't think it's been mentioned by others on xt either (?)
What about format and rest in a 3 team group

Match 1 (Day 1) - Team A vs Team C
Match 2 (Day 4) - Team B vs Team C
Match 3 (Day 7) - Team A vs Team B

That's a big advantage for Team A
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2017, 14:35
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reza View Post
Something I didn't think of until I read it elsewhere, don't think it's been mentioned by others on xt either (?)
What about format and rest in a 3 team group

Match 1 (Day 1) - Team A vs Team C
Match 2 (Day 4) - Team B vs Team C
Match 3 (Day 7) - Team A vs Team B

That's a big advantage for Team A
I'd always love to be team C then. More rest for the knockout.
Reza likes this.

post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old January 14th, 2017, 14:57
Community Manager
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerheart View Post
I'd always love to be team C then. More rest for the knockout.
Good point.
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2017, 20:29
Community Manager
World Class Player

The Bureau of the FIFA Council – comprised of the FIFA President and the presidents of each of the six confederations – convened this Thursday at the Home of FIFA in Zurich and agreed on a proposed slot allocation for the FIFA World Cup™ as of the 2026 edition.

The recommendation will now be submitted for the ratification of the FIFA Council, whose next meeting is scheduled for 9 May in Manama, Bahrain, two days prior to the 67th FIFA Congress.

Direct slots:

AFC (8)
CAF (9)
CONCACAF (6)
CONMEBOL (6)
OFC (1)
UEFA (16)

The host country would also automatically qualify for the FIFA World Cup, and its slot would be taken from the quota of its confederation. In the event of co-hosting, the number of host countries to qualify automatically would be decided by the FIFA Council.

Play-off tournament for two remaining slots
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2017, 22:17
van
Community Manager
World Class Player

Teams: A.C. Milan
Is there no going back with this bullshit expansion? I mean it increases the chances of my own country by quite an amount (and it's a ****ing national obsession if there ever was one in Peru at this point) but even there nobody likes the idea. The merge with CONCACAF on the other hand has always been something many South Americans see as a potentially good option. The 6th and 7th of South America are almost invariably better than the 3d and 4th of CONCACAF, and indeed they often play friendlies and win them against them -- including Costa Rica, Panamá, Trinidad, Honduras, Haiti, etc.

Anyway, it really makes me angry that they'd go with this.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2017, 23:43 Thread Starter
We will ROCK u
Star Player

Teams: concacaf teams , Portugal
this is so depressing.... 32 was the perfect size. Qualifying will be so meaningless now.

Pulisic Mexico Costa Rica

Wood/Dempsey concacaf region , N-W-O!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.