Are the Faroe Islands now too good to be considered minnows? - Xtratime Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2016, 19:49 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Virtus Lanciano
Are the Faroe Islands now too good to be considered minnows?

The Faroe Islands NT are often referenced alongside other teams such as Malta, Liechtenstein, Andorra etc. now they find themselves in the same group as Andorra, demonstrating they're a tier above that minnow at least. So where do the Faroes stand? They outplayed the Hungarians and should have won, were denied a clear penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2016, 20:02
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
they're mostly a bunch of random amateurs so they sort of are in the lowest rung of Eurofootie...despite of some decent results

but of course they're better than total village teams such as San Marino and Andorra

so maybe they're there on the next level with Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Gibraltar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mali
i'm catastrophed by what i read here.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2016, 20:05
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
No. There is the occasional situation when a "minnow" has to be placed above the bottom pot depending on the number of qualification groups. There is also the additional factor of Kosovo have started in the bottom pot due to a lack of co-efficient points (a similar situation happened with Montenegro, causing Luxembourg to be in the same group as Liechtenstein). Faroes are the beneficiaries of being the least bad of that collection of teams. They and Luxembourg have posted some good results recently, and they are definitely above Andorra and San Marino who have not moved on anywhere near the level of the aforementioned.

I was considering a similar line of thought earlier after seeing Luxembourg's performance against Bulgaria, a former World Cup semi-finalist. Whilst the top teams are still hugely better than these teams, there seems to be a smaller gulf in quality than 10 years ago. Thrashings are rarer and I think these nations seem to benefit from the globalisation of youth football. It is not so incredible now to see Faroese or Luxembourger in an Academy in places like England, Germany or France.

I look forward to when the Nations' Cup begins in Europe, for we will see how far the gap has closed.

To bring your question round, The Faroes are still minnows. Their results against Greece were incredible, but that was because Greece were diabolical. They took no other points in 2016 qualification, and will once again be in the bottom pot for 2022 qualification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Of course you need TGO you retards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutu
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2016, 20:08 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I'd stick Gibraltar alongside San Marino and Andorra honestly. Luxembourg are definitely better than those guys.

Good post Dan. One of the Faroes key players is Joan Edmundsson who came through Newcastle United's youth academy. Edit. Maybe not

Quote:
let me give u a lil love

Last edited by Jeffrey; September 7th, 2016 at 20:16.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2016, 20:10
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Actually didn't realise the Faroes were in Pot 4, that's pretty crazy in fairness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Quote:
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2016, 20:13
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

The scary thing is with their group there's no reason they cannot finish 3rd and be the "best of the rest", ahead of Andorra, Latvia and Hungary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Quote:
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2016, 20:59
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
I'd stick Gibraltar alongside San Marino and Andorra honestly.
Estonia has played with all 3 in recent years and Gibraltar was another level compared to the other 2. no wonder too, they have some players with Football League experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mali
i'm catastrophed by what i read here.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2016, 23:11
Rising Star

Gibraltar is horrible. They lose by 5 goals on average. Definitely on par with San Marino.
YBC likes this.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2016, 23:13
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Kazakhstan Artificial Potato Tacklers
Gibraltar scored against Greece at home. The Faroes beat Greece at home.

Romania did neither.

Croatian board member to Ante after the Iceland 'debacle':

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro
I wish the boys won today... but I must say... seeing that dude say "your tears taste delicious" sure was hilarious and a dose of fckn karma for your loud mouth bravado.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2016, 23:18 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Gibraltar had some good results with Danny Higginbotham in the team, like a draw against Slovakia, but they've been a rabble since he retired.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old September 8th, 2016, 08:31
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: HJK, Lazio
No way is Gibraltar comparable to Fareo Islands...

But Faroe Islands will continue to be minnows, that's for sure. They have a pretty good team right now but for simple demographic reasons they can quickly fall back to being hopeless.

Kosovo will quickly grow past the minnow ranking, that's for sure. Ok, this Finland team is dreadful but they still outplayed them away. I'm sure they'll manage to get points from other games, as well.

Irriducibili? No thanks, I'm a fan of Lazio.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2016, 02:11
Star Player

They are still minnows but to me they are the strongest and the most improved of all the European minnows. Their results since 2010 speak for themselves and they've come a long way since losing all their qualifying games 5-0 on average 10 years ago. If they can avoid finishing bottom in this World Cup qualifying campaign then I think we can start talking about them potentially not being minnows anymore. They have a real chance to get at least 3 or even 6 points against Andorra which will boost their coefficient and help them climb in the FIFA rankings.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2016, 07:46 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Their next game is away vs Latvia, they could get another result there.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2016, 10:43
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
they are still minnows, and there is no way they can stop being so, simply there isnt enough critical mass in the country ( to use geopolitical terms) to change that

having said that, their results against greece in both matches ( regardless of greeces' overall bad performance during the qualifyings games) and now their tie vs hungary, are feats to be congratulated and it is something huge those players are accomplishing and only comes to remind other teams / countries that its not just about skill, or numbers ( in quality), football is a team game ( some forget it so often) and motivation and the desire to achieve a good result is key to success, faroes are showing that drive and that belief

so congrats to them, and please play drunk against us

"there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2016, 11:23
V.I.P
Star Player

Teams: Sisa Tibor+11
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
The scary thing is with their group there's no reason they cannot finish 3rd and be the "best of the rest", ahead of Andorra, Latvia and Hungary.
Wo, easy there tiger

Without Jesus, a hopeless end. With him, an endless hope.
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2016, 11:41
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: 44 Passz
Faroes is a pot 4 team, well deserved. they beat Greece home and away in the last qualis and gave every other team a hard time. it's been a long time now that they got thrashed last time by more than 3 goals. especially in Tórshavn they can steal points from any team in this group. their bunker tactics add with shit weather, cold heavy rain and strong winds, artificial grass pitch and what not.

this recent result is no surprise at all. a pot 4 team plays 0-0 at home against a pot 3 team. pot 3 team's manager said it before the match: "this will be the most difficult game of the year" and he was right
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2016, 11:46
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Kazakhstan Artificial Potato Tacklers
How do you know you won't have more difficult games?

BTW they didn't play for a 0-0 in the 2nd half... well, the parts I watched anyway. They actually tried to attack and almost scored..

Croatian board member to Ante after the Iceland 'debacle':

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro
I wish the boys won today... but I must say... seeing that dude say "your tears taste delicious" sure was hilarious and a dose of fckn karma for your loud mouth bravado.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2016, 11:52
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestasuceava View Post
How do you know you won't have more difficult games?

BTW they didn't play for a 0-0 in the 2nd half... well, the parts I watched anyway. They actually tried to attack and almost scored..
Swiss, Andorra and Latvians aren't more difficult. from each of them, we'll most likely get what everyone expects. doesn't mean we beat them all. ok Andorra, we should beat.

I know they didn't. in fact, they were better. I can see them possibly steal points from Suisse and Portugal too, to be honest.
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2016, 12:02
V.I.P
Star Player

Teams: Sisa Tibor+11
Faroe is the new Bosnia.

Without Jesus, a hopeless end. With him, an endless hope.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old September 9th, 2016, 12:15
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I wouldn't go that far

the new Northern Ireland minus Lafferty more like

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.