2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2017, 15:19 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
NBA Draft 2017

Lottery on 16th May.

Played around with Tankathon lottery sim and some interesting results...Philly might well get two picks in top 5 (they have the LA Lakers pick if it falls outside top 3 plus they have a right to switch picks with Sacramento).

Boston is almost guaranteed a top 3 pick via Brooklyn.

One very interesting scenario would be if Minnesota ends up with a 1st or 2nd pick...they really might get something big going if they get another super talent in addition to Towns.

Finnish big man Lauri Markkanen's stock has been rising...he's now 6th in most mocks. (btw, his older brother played soccer in Real Madrid's youth team a few years ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mali
i'm catastrophed by what i read here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2017, 15:23 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

random lottery simulation:

Quote:
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2017, 15:32 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

another one with player names...damn that Sixers backcourt also Kings would get nice value in this scenario

Quote:

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2017, 01:40 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

watch this getting fixed for the Lakers

Quote:
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2017, 01:53 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Lakers, Celtics and Philly (via Kings pick) in top 3

Quote:
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2017, 01:57 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Celtics 1st pick ever (in modern draft era)

Lakers get 2nd (which they probably will waste on Ball)

Quote:
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2017, 09:32
Rising Star

My Pre-Lotto Mock had the best order!

But in all reality, despite how the lotto would've shook out, someone would've cried rig.

The amount of people also expecting Ball to bust and Fultz to beast makes me wonder how many thoroughly watched games.
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2017, 12:10
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Juve
People are just majorly hating on Lonzo because of his insane loud mouth hype man father. Kid is quiet while Father is being Don King cocky times ten... He will it have harder because of this, even NBA stars on his case due to his foolish father (who is smart in one way, he has made his son a huge profitable brand already).

Seeing clips and reading reports, Fulltz is the better dynamic athletic scorer while Lonzo seems better at nearly everything else. Complete floor general who makes his entire team elevated.

Is he NBA ready and is the hype too much? Good questions, but people should ease up on the here Imo and just acknowledge the exceptional talent he is.

Even if Fulltz seems more likely to be the generational dominating type of talent at first glance.

Skickat frĺn min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. - Stephen Colbert

Until the Lion learns to speak, the tale of hunt will be told by the hunter

“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”-Genghis Khan
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2017, 13:03 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Lonzo is a bad man-to-man defender though (which is why it's funny when some people compare him to Jason Kidd)...he also has a pretty poor mid-range game (mainly because of his weird shot mechanics which make it hard to shoot jumpers off the dribble). And hasn't really proven he could be NBA elite going to the basket (struggles going to the paint off the dribble, average acceleration and does he have floaters in his arsenal at all?) Some claim his shot is "broken"...well it's not the purest and it does hurt his mid range game but I think he will be an okay shooter from downtown at least.

Whoever picks him has to build the team's style around his main strength which is running the transition game. But as a main scorer in half court offense...huge question marks here. And you sort of need to be at least ok in half court game too to have a chance in the playoffs. (he'd be okay though if he could concentrate on playmaking and be 2nd/3rd scorer on his team...but would such a player be worthy of 2nd pick in the draft?)

Basically if you watch compilations of him and Fultz...Fultz looks like somebody who could enter NBA tomorrow and impress immediately, he's probably the most complete and mature PG to enter the draft since Irving (but athletically he has more potential than Kyrie). About Ball who knows...in addition to other weaknesses I guess his biggest flaw is his father's mouth but I guess they will put a muzzle on him at some point.

But of course Lakers will take him, he's too big of a deal in LA.

Quote:
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2017, 13:16
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Those are all valid points, but it may also be just his awkward style being harder to scout, he is not the first too unconventional player the scouts completely get wrong about in terms of seeing weaknesses instead of unique approach. His awkward shooting mechanics is hard to ignore, but who knows it may work out well for him in NBA. He has big size and ridicolous quickness to do damage so might just need some coaching to become more lethal (as with the defending, has size and work ethic, college ball too different from NBA so who knows how well he takes it in organised team, seems like a hungry player, not lazy), tho yes his driving athleticism is kinda suspect sometimes looking at him so thats one of his main weaknesses if he wants to become a multilevel threat as a player. But above all his ability to completely see plays and makes his team tick (besides the shooting thats still effective despite how weird it looks) is pretty much the reason he is ranked this high.

As a scorer Fulltz looks like a generational level dominating talent, extremely dynamic and confident athletic player, so its hard to compare him to any other player in this draft for that alone.

I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. - Stephen Colbert

“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”-Genghis Khan
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2017, 13:53 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

have you seen the youngest brother of Ball family? he's like the second coming of Pete Maravich

outrageous player...hard to predict if it will translate to NBA level though

Quote:
post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2017, 14:10
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Yeah I have, the youngest one, not the fat middle child one who shoots 300 shots and scores on volume alone.

The youngest one seems like the most talented shooter and overall technical talent, but really its embarrassing to watch how lazy they let talent like that be. He stands around shoots HALF COURT shots, allowing him carte blanche to be a doofus, very talented, but a doofus in fundementals. I know its just high school, but watching him, besides the insane scoring/shooting, he needs a proper coach BADLY. To be fair to his father, he says the same, how chino hills coach is garbage for letting his son do shit like that, even if they win all the time its not good for him.

Lonzo atleast has besides the similar awkward shooting style of the little bro, a completely well rounded enough game and extremely high basketball IQ that makes his teammates alot better. Little LaMelo needs to get on that too, and realize there is more to Bball then shooting deep 3s nonstop.

post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2017, 14:13
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

I mentionned it in the other thread, but even if Wolves need PF more, I hope they trade this guy, who is most likely the sleeper hit of the draft IMO:

Alot of the past drafts there's a player who is picked 7-15 who suprises the heck outta everyone, IMO this kid will be it.

post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2017, 14:52
International

Teams: Liverpool, Srbija,
Wonder if Lonzo will have any problems with this shot in the NBA tho? It's quite low, easy to guard? The release almost comes from his torso. He's a good player but i feel with the branding of his dad, hes being overblown.

I didn't watch much of the Sweet 16 but i thought DeAaron Fox was awesome. I'd take him on the Spurs in a heart beat.
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2017, 16:40
Rising Star

Lonzo's man defense is actually pretty solid, and despite his overall athleticism, his quickness, namely laterally, length and height make up for it and allow him to stick anyone. He didn't drive and finish much @ UCLA, but he has the ability to do so, he's just unselfish to the point where he'd rather set up a teammate. His soft touch allows him to finish well around the rim, making him a post-up threat as a point as well. Lonzo, as opposed to Fultz, has won everywhere he went. I mean, Washington only won 9 games last year, and they lost MORE by 12+ than they did WITHIN 7. (also lost at home to Yale) Your telling me a "generational" talent couldn't will his team to being semi-competitive, let alone, more than 9 wins? Ball also outplayed Fultz H2H (which isn't the end be all but still).

His shot is also perfectly fine. He had a higher TS and eFG than: Fultz, Monk, Markkanen, Alford, Kennard & Grayson. His release is only .02 slower than Klay Thompson & .13 faster than league average.
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2017, 16:55
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

Good post

Fultz team is completely shit tho, even if he should have done more, he is not the first great talent to play in crappy college team. What makes him the undisputed nr 1 individual talent is simply him showcasing the most ready made athletic and dynamic scoring ability, and good playmaking and decent defending. He is just an allround ready made star as few rookies tend to be, there is litterally no weakness to discuss in his game by any scout, yes his team lost alot, but thats hardly his fault.

But I would take Ball over him if I needed a leader and organisational level high IQ baller, over a straight up scorer. Ball will have periods wher ehe's only at 10 pts a game (not because he isnt good enough for more, but he doesnt ball hog to score as much) elevate the team completely in general in his effective build up play.

This is an interesting clip of them facing eachother, commentators discussing Balls overall game and what he needs to improve etc:

P.S I'm gonna go out on a limp and say I wouldnt be suprised if Dennis Smith Jr turns out better NBA player then both

post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2017, 17:07
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

This is an interesting more indepth clip of Fox's overall game, where do you think he will go in the order? 4th?5th? Should be as high as 3 too maybe if Jackson or Tatum are passed up.

post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2017, 17:07
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osman View Post
People are just majorly hating on Lonzo because of his insane loud mouth hype man father. Kid is quiet while Father is being Don King cocky times ten... He will it have harder because of this, even NBA stars on his case due to his foolish father (who is smart in one way, he has made his son a huge profitable brand already).
His father struck me as an overly pompous guy who has created a lane for his kids to be noticed even more so than what they probably deserve. I've seen little bit of all of them, and there is no question they can ball, but we shall see how they adjust to the next level. I cracked up reading your comment on the middle child

As far as Lonzo's shooting technique, it has worked out for him thus far. The transition to NBA remains to be seen, but it didn't seem to have deterred Kevin Martin.
post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2017, 17:23
Administrators
Xtratime Legend

The youngest one looks EXCEPTIONAL, too much flash and little athleticism, but he is still just 15, if he grows into himself physically I'm really corious to see what he can do in college/NBA, after he gets proper coaching.

Regarding Lavar. I'll die laughing if Boston drafts Lonzo
rilla_ likes this.

post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2017, 20:39 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osman View Post
Good post

Fultz team is completely shit tho, even if he should have done more, he is not the first great talent to play in crappy college team. What makes him the undisputed nr 1 individual talent is simply him showcasing the most ready made athletic and dynamic scoring ability, and good playmaking and decent defending. He is just an allround ready made star as few rookies tend to be, there is litterally no weakness to discuss in his game by any scout, yes his team lost alot, but thats hardly his fault.
exactly

Fultz is the safe #1 choice...but when it comes to Ball, I would not be surprised if Smith, Fox and even that French kid turn out to be better PGs.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.