Suso --- Locatelli --- Pasalic --- Bonaventura
Lapadula --- Bacca

vs

4-3-3

Donnarumma
Abate --- Paletta --- Romagnoli --- De Sciglio
Kucka --- Locatelli --- Pasalic
Suso --- Bacca --- Bonaventura

Montella's 4-3-3 has proven to be effective on the whole, but a case could be made for 4-4-2 being a worthy alternative.

• Lapadula is a good foil to Bacca and their styles of play compliment each other. As good as his movement and finishing are, Bacca can sometimes look a little isolated in a 4-3-3. Having Lapadula alongside him would allow him more opportunity to ghost into spaces
  • Niang is not good enough as a winger in a 4-3-3. In a more central role alongside Bacca/Lapadula he may improve
  • Locatelli alongside Pasalic/Kucka/Bertolacci has potential too. Kucka perhaps the least suitable choice as he is better suited to a 4-3-3.

The successful switch of formation against Cagliari led me to consider this, and although I don't think Montella should make a full switch to 4-4-2 as the main formation, it looks like it could be a decent alternative at the very least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2017, 20:39
Star Player

Teams: Croatia! Bayern, Madrid, Inter, Rijeka, Bari
any word on Abate's injury?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2017, 20:39
Community Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Milan
Niang had 3 times the touches Bacca had, he actually tracks back and he should be in a role where finishing or scoring is not expected, sounds silly but his non goal/assists stats are decent
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2017, 20:44
Community Manager
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepoznat View Post
any word on Abate's injury?
I read it's not major, he could be back within days.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2017, 20:55
Premier Player

I'm not sure what we saw against Cagliari was a switch of any sorts, we just threw everything we had at them. Not that I wanna argue that point....

Good point re Bacca & Lapadula starting & complementing each other.

I do believe Montella needs to find some tactical alternatives, definitely. By now, anyone who hasn't even watched more than a handful of minutes of Milan's games this season could tell Suso will always break inside to his preferred left foot, Niang will go for the dribble 99% of the time or just try to steamroll past defenders!

I would love to see a 4-3-1-2. Building this team around Jack, from a creative standpoint, is the best bet. I trust him to deliver on assists and the occasional goal a lot more than Niang or Suso. More, he's versatile, we can change the system around him easily if say Suso or Niang are introduced for any of the forwards.

Bertolacci - Locatelli - Kucka
Bonaventura
Bacca - Lapadula

PS Honestly, what do you guys see in Pasalic? Such a lazy ineffective guy! A phantom, mostly!

No expectations..No disappointments
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2017, 22:38
Rising Star

You guys still talking about Niang?😂 Forget it please.

And, oh, Pasalic has been good imo. Not really spectacular but he's doing well.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2017, 22:46 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
4-3-1-2 works on paper, if Suso played behind the strikers and Jack as a mezz'ala. Suso is a must regardless - a player of his ability and form should be accommodated, more so than Bonaventura. But I think the biggest drawback with 4-3-1-2 is that our fullbacks are not good enough to provide the attacking width.

Regarding Pasalic - on the whole I think the jury is still out. On occasions he has ghosted out of games but in others he's linked up well in midfield (against Roma he combined well with Suso and impressed me). The issue is that the alternatives are not exactly special. Bertolacci seems out of sorts (perhaps needs a few more games) and Kucka has hit his glass ceiling. He won't improve.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2017, 22:53 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inas_ View Post
You guys still talking about Niang?😂 Forget it please.

Niang has been infuriating but at the same time I am beginning to feel sorry for him. At points during the Cagliari game you could almost feel his anguish, but he cannot he faulted for effort.

The difference between seeing Bonaventura and Suso on the flanks with the ball, the way they move and dribble is in a different class to Niang. He just isn't a winger, never has been.

He should either start in his natural position (in the centre) or not at all. He's strong and fast - put him up against defenders, back to goal, or making runs behind them with his pace and he's going to fare better. Problem is with a 4-3-3 he's always going to be 3rd choice. 4-4-2 would potentially revitalise his form, if anything can.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2017, 02:23
Premier Player

Teams: AC Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post

Bertolacci - Locatelli - Kucka
Bonaventura
Bacca - Lapadula

PS Honestly, what do you guys see in Pasalic? Such a lazy ineffective guy! A phantom, mostly!
And you see something in Bertolacci???
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2017, 03:08
Star Player

Teams: AC Milan
I trust Montella to choose the right formation. As long as the team keeps playing like this, I don't really care.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2017, 13:35
International

Teams: AC MILAN
Like some of you guys, I like bacca-lapadula upfront.
Niang lack of brain muscles in critical movement. We need to clone seedorf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2017, 13:42
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriguez View Post
Niang has been infuriating but at the same time I am beginning to feel sorry for him. At points during the Cagliari game you could almost feel his anguish, but he cannot he faulted for effort.

The difference between seeing Bonaventura and Suso on the flanks with the ball, the way they move and dribble is in a different class to Niang. He just isn't a winger, never has been.

He should either start in his natural position (in the centre) or not at all. He's strong and fast - put him up against defenders, back to goal, or making runs behind them with his pace and he's going to fare better. Problem is with a 4-3-3 he's always going to be 3rd choice. 4-4-2 would potentially revitalise his form, if anything can.
👍
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Today, 17:55
van
Community Manager
World Class Player

Somehow I had missed this.

If we were to go for the 4-4-2, I'd actually be interested to see Niang as a RW, Bonaventura as a LW, and Suso in a free Role. I'd like to see Niang used in ways that exploit his assets, which are physical and technical. Covering lots of ground and beating his man in a straight line. IMO that might be the way to eventually get something out of him. And I'd love to see what Suso can do in a more free role. Lappadula is just a decent sub.

In practice, this would be close to a 4-2-3-1, and when needed Jack could move center and we couldgo back to 4-3-3.

----Niang----Locatelli---Pasalic---Bonaventura

--------------------Suso---------------------
-----------------Bacca---------------------

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.