Our Own Gigi? Donnarumma, Youngest Keeper in Serie A History - Xtratime Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2015, 01:18 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
World Class Player

Teams: A.C. Milan
Our Own Gigi? Donnarumma, Youngest Keeper in Serie A History

Pretty radical move by Mihajlovic to bench the experienced Diego López for a sixteen-year-old to debut in a must-win match... But so far it seems to have worked. We did get our first clean sheet with Donnarumma on goal last week.

At 16, he is probably five years younger than the average young goalkeepers who gets a chance. And he hasn't looked out of place.

Now, is he really a massive talent that Mihajlovic has discovered and showed the courage to play? Or is it just a desperate move? Or maybe just an attempt to put some pressure on López and see him back to form in a few weeks?

We have not had anything remotely similar since Abbiati's rise under Zac probably. It sure beats seeing the likes of Amelia. I really hope this post will be the start of a long thread and not another jinx-suspicious one. In any case, this is exciting, and yet another reason to watch our games with some hope.

Here are some interesting links with different perspectives on this:

http://www.gazzetta.it/calcio/nuove-...?refresh_ce-cp

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...lan-goalkeeper

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/featur...MJTUGqhD-39QqA

http://www.espnfc.com/ac-milan/story...oss-mihajlovic

http://www.transfermarkt.com/gianlui...spieler/315858

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich

Last edited by van; March 11th, 2017 at 03:47.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2015, 06:25
International

Teams: AC MILAN
Now you jinx it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2015, 06:26
Community Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Milan
Milan developing and bringing along a 16 year old properly would be parallel universe stuff

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2015, 12:20
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: AC Milan
IMO this is a premature thread. The only real time he was tested was the Berardi free kick and that one didn't go well. But other than that he has had very little to do in the games.

He does seem quick and with a good positioning sense but I'm yet to see him make a great save.

Originally Posted by bernmilan1
play with BALLS people, BALLS!

Originally Posted by barracuda
Well it's a two horse race, with both horses facing the wrong way, "entertaining" us with primarily manure all season.
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2015, 14:13
Star Player

I agree with brick, it's a bit premature. I only watched the second half against Chievo & I can only remember the save against Paloschi & the horrible timing at the end but he was bailed out by the ref. I watched highlights & the guy definitely has the potential, but he's damn 16. Let him be, ease off the pressure & let's hope he turns to be the keeper we think he could be. In all honesty, I don't think his run will end in a good way if he keeps the starting job for the long haul, not necessarily his fault, could be another drubbing like Napoli's...

No expectations..No disappointments
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2015, 15:42
Premier Player

Donnarumma's agent, Raiola:

If the club can return to its international appeal, I think he can be Milan’s new Buffon. That’s what we’re all hoping for.

If the crisis were to continue at Milan though, other decisions could be taken. Not just by the player, but by the club, as they did a few years ago with [Zlatan] Ibra[himovic] and Thiago Silva.

That is to say, if you believe you have an important product, then you can try to sell it.

We’re thinking positively though, we believe Milan will return to the Champions League and he’ll be the Rossoneri goalkeeper for the next 20 years like Buffon has done at Juve.

Worry not guys. His agent, Raiola, has already a plan in place for him
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2015, 15:53
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
the horrible timing at the end but he was bailed out by the ref.
Timing was good, grip was not.
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2015, 15:57
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
Mino is his agent?
Forget about it ...

post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2015, 21:15
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Mino is his agent?
Forget about it ...
I think it's another Raiola. Vincenzo Raiola
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2015, 21:24
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
There ia more than one Raiola on this world? impossible ...
post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old October 30th, 2015, 23:20
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Juve
Its the same Raiola p

And way too premature indeed. He is very very young. But Brick put it well, you should get hyped when you gotten the opportunity to show you are real phenomenom besides your age bit. He hasnt been tested for real yet. The flawed moments more noticeable in the two games. Berardi goal was not impressive (was fooled by wall placement, should be able to read this type of tricks with time), neither was the poor handling in disallowed Chievo goal. But he will for sure have more opportunities to show if he can hack it and grow with experience. Its not like Miha has much to lose. Milan conceaded alot of goals with Diego Lopez in charge, so a shake up was needed, even if this was a fairly shocking one.

I'm more impressed by that Calabria kid the times he gotten the chances. Biggest surprise, plays really mature, good defending and something that is nowadays rare, football IQ plus a good cross.

I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. - Stephen Colbert

Until the Lion learns to speak, the tale of hunt will be told by the hunter

“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”-Genghis Khan
post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2015, 07:00
Legend

Teams: Sympathy for the Devil
Agreed on Calabria, I hope we can hold on to him. On Donnarumma, I am excited for the future, but the point has been made and it is time to give Lopez back his starting position.

R.I.P. Tazz, good times in Bim we had.

"Have you noticed that their stuff is shit and your shit is stuff?"
- George Carlin (1937 – 2008)
post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2015, 07:53 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
World Class Player

Of course it's premature. That's why it's fun and why we can dream. The kid still broke an all-time age record is getting lots of attention. And he is called Gianluigi for ****s sake.

He might turn out crap or just not work out and you can say again too premature and even that I jinxed it. Or it might indeed very likely be a move to get Lopez to get back to form. But also he might turn out a good long term useful player or even legend, and then it was still premature but I'm a visionary (or I just read the sports paper more likely and bought the hype). I enjoy that this is at least some kind of possibility. Even far-fetched hope deserves a thread in present-day Milan. This might be the FM player in me, but to me this is more exciting than most of what we have week in week out.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich

Last edited by van; October 31st, 2015 at 07:58.
post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2015, 07:55 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
World Class Player

Agreed on Calabria too by the way

Nathaniel Rich
post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2015, 09:29
zoo
Legend

Was impressed with Donnaruma since the pre season. Hope we dont ruin him, otherwise he will be top 5 gk in the world.
post #16 of 74 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2015, 11:56
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
There ia more than one Raiola on this world? impossible ...
😂
post #17 of 74 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2015, 11:58
Premier Player

Agreed on Calabria as well. Kid's maturity on the ball belied his age.
post #18 of 74 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2015, 12:38
Forum Manager
Legend

This current hype and exposure will benefit the kid and his agent when it comes to courting with clubs that are interested in taking him on loan. This should happen during the winter mercato. Let him get some regular game time at a smaller club, where there is less chance that the expectation and pressures will have a negative effect on him.
post #19 of 74 (permalink) Old October 31st, 2015, 14:34
International

Teams: AC MILAN
We will sell him for a good sum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
post #20 of 74 (permalink) Old November 2nd, 2015, 00:38
Xtratime Legend

Legend. 3 games, 3 wins.

Feels game against Lazio is insecure, takes out Alex for Mexes. Mexes score 2 minutes later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.